Wednesday 20 June 2007

Is it really 2 months?

I have been in the states 8 weeks this Monday just gone. It is one of those strange time tricks that your brain plays on you. Some ways it has gone so fast. It feels like yesterday I was blowing the balloons......for the little party we had...


Which I am all bloody glad you made it. So anyway before this gets soppy (I was fine till I actually started writing and now I do actually have a tears in my eyes) the point of this post is things I miss about the UK and things I like about the US. I am going to try and do something like like this around the end of the month like I did last month. So obviously the point of the pictures is to say the thing I miss the most are the people, but it's also the thing what I like most here. I do appreciate that people are reading this blog. I really didn't think anyone would. So except for you guys here are the things I miss/like.

I was trying to think of something to do for my monthly musing and have been now for a few days. It hit me today what I should write about while I was walking back listening to the old iPod dancing away (like you do....) that I should write about what I miss etc. I got thinking about what I miss most.

So if you haven't guess already or are still wetting yourself at the idea of me dancing while I walk the streets of dirty D.... you don't know what I'd give right now to dance my drunken arse off in the Leadmill, Hot Pants or any of those places it's probably not a the best of ideas to show my face again. Yes Lou that means I will gladly let you jump on me while I spin you around.... if you're not banned from Hot Pants by the time I get round to going again. Also to sing all those songs that I love. To hold Jon back from saving his 'bap'.

ME MUM'S SUNDAY LUNCH........YORKSHIRE PUDDING

To sing at Bramall Lane. 'I can't help falling in love with you' came on the iPod as well today, it sent shivers down my spine. To just get lost in a football match. To celebrate a goal. To be embarrassed by my sister. To hear that bloke behind you shout the witty comments. Just one greasy chip butty. A draw (America needs to learn that winning isn't everything), seeing the Wednesday/ Leeds score and it makes your day.

The way people talk. The day in day out humour (it's still a laugh here but sometimes I say stuff and it just goes woosh). Blokes calling each other 'love'. Being able to get a good bacon butty. While the cheesecake brownie from the cafe in my building is truly an amazing creation it is not a hangover killer from John's Van or the flapjack made by his mum.

Just sitting in a pub/beer garden. I miss the interval last summer. West St.

The BBC

Public transport.....

But America has some fantastic things on offer.

I am addicted to Mexican/TEX-MEX food. Even after 'El Gigante' I still love it. I have no idea how I am going to cope without places like Cosmic Cantina. Burritos and a 'dosecki' till 4 in the morning. Good cheap food in general. Chick-fil-A and time out chicken.... Yeah I'm scared it's just turning into a food blog.

Southern life. It is a slower pace here. Yeah it is hot but I'm kinda used to it now. I even said 'oooh it was quite cool today' and the temp was 28 oC... Everyone must still think I am a madman all the walking I do in this heat but hey I'm now 12 stone and haven't even started going to the gym yet. I do like the accent too, Y'All.

Baseball. Ok its not football but I can't think of many places that I have paid £4 for the best seats that I have enjoyed more. I can think of a lot of worse. also they have 1 and a half pint beers which is always good. I'm not even going to go into the foot long hot dogs. The atmosphere is so chilled out. The 7th innings stretch. 'Take me home to the ballpark'...... Actually being able to watch sport on TV.

People saying 'I love the accent'

'Paper or plastic'. Also not having to deal with spotty teenagers in whole foods.

Having a good night out and still having by far the best part of £50/$100 in my pocket. 75p for a quart of Sol not £3.00 for a tiny bottle. Mountain Dew. It's so green. PBR for $3.

Ok this is getting long. I hope you get the picture. I said at the start it's feels like yesterday.... it also feels like I have been here ages. A lot has changed...... I'm pretty sure it's for the good.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you say you love tex-mex but there's absolutely no mention of carrburritos!!! wtf, mate? wait till we get to texas. you'll have the goods there, my friend. --ryan

Biggsy said...

One of the things that I learnt in sheffield, the greasy chip butty song!!
Once more from the top....
You fill up my senses
Like a gallon of Magnet
Like a packet of Woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Like Sheffield United
Come thrill me again....
Na Na Na Naa Naa Naaaaa, ooo!

Ah.. memories
Still dont know if its a good bit of stuff or a good pinch of snuff.