Sunday 17 June 2007

North Carolina BBQ

I have just been for my first real North Carolina barbecue, here and here are web links just in case you like me had no idea what it is. And here is what it looks like. It's good proper southern cooking, which means its pretty bad for you, but tastes good.

Sorry for cheating on the photo but will get a real one soon. It was good though. A lot of pig was involved. I mean a lot. I had a plate and it was half a pound of meat. I had the 'pulled pork' with BBQ beans, sweet potato fries and hushpuppies. It was really good. And it only cost $10 or 5 sheets for y'all back home.

The 'pulled pork' is just a lump of roast pork that has been spiced in the North Carolina style, which I guess to most people in the UK is just BBQ sauce or a variation on that. Hushpuppies are fried dough and are really bloody good, and can be seen at the bottom of the picture. I really recommend cutting some sweet potato up and sticking it in the chip pan because they were so nice. BBQ bean are pretty self explanatory, kinda like baked beans and BBQ sauce but not as they were a different type of bean. You can also get loads of other random sides such as potato salad and coleslaw. Oh yeah and a big vat of BBQ sauce just in case you needed more.

My view is that it is a take on the good old hot roast pork sandwich, but with a spicy kick. I had one of the ways you are meant to eat it. The other way is in a sandwich, where you have it with coleslaw and potato salad. So that is very much like a HRP. Which reminds me of the fantastic HRP I had on Bramall Lane, which consisted of HRP, stuffing, apple sauce and roast potatoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have to go to texas and have real bbq. nc bbq is a poor excuse for bbq. --ryan

Bob said...

wow, texas BBQ must be good if thats comming from a local north caroloogacestershirian. It goes on the list

Anonymous said...

Im from Goldsboro, NC & over here the best BBQ in the tri-county area is from a place called Wilburs. They are REALLY good! If you ever visit NC again try them