Saturday 2 June 2007

Softball

I had the pleasure to attend an inter-mural softball game on Thursday. It was a different affair from the ones that take place in the UK. In the UK, you play the game, get in the pub and get drunk. In the US having a few beers is part of the game, and of course you have to have spectator participation. Softball is a long game and you only do a bit of running, so you are more likely do drink than when playing football. That's just a recipe for being sick.

This game was extra funny because I work with people from both teams. There has been 'trash talk' all week. Which I added to even though I wasn't on either of the teams, but thought I should put my tuppence in. In the first innings one team was 10-4 up, things started to get a little heated but all in good humour. It finished either 18-17 or 18 all depending on which team you spoke too. I was just laughing. In the end it was very amiable and an extra innings was played and the team that should have won, won.

It was a really nice thing to go and see. It was the real America. It wasn't the all conquering, arrogant team USA that you see in the Olympics, it was just a group of people having fun and having a few beers and a laugh. Yeah one or two people took it too seriously but for the most part it was just funny. It may have helped that I was sitting drinking beer in the sun.....who knows

No comments: