Thursday 18 October 2007

NC State Fair - Food

As already mentioned in the last post I went to the NC state fair. Making small animals run round a track is not generally a major pastime in North Carolina, but eating is. Typically the unhealthier the better. The state fair is no exception, in fact it makes kebabs look almost healthy. As y'all know Andy and I are seasoned eaters, so much to our surprise it was Bonnie who "didn't want to really eat" who got the first culinary delight. A really buttery corn, which was pretty nice actually. Andy not wanting to be out done got a giant turkey leg, which I also tasted (you can take the boy out of yorkshire...)

I forgot the bloody fiver didn't I....
Not wanting to be outdone by the Yanks I decided to actually pay for something. A deep fried Twinkie (a normal one can be found here). Not necessarily the healthiest start to my evenings eating but I tell you what, it was fantastic. The shop I got it from pretty much did everything. Fried snickers, oreos, several dough related items and even chocolate dipped frozen cheesecake for those not wanting their food battered. It would go down a treat in Scotland.
Yep I ate that. Aren't y'all proud of me. Yes I am wearing my cowboy shirt.
After the successful taming of the twinky I was on fire. I needed more deep fried goods. Somebody thought of a great way for kids to get their 5 veg a day. Deep fry the bugger. Here pictured are, pickles (gerkins to the educated among us), mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini (or as civilized people call it courgette).
Andy was tempted by the slabs of cooking meat. Good job the have the drool guard.
For desert I had a chocolate covered frozen cantaloupe. The lady who served me used to live in Skegness.
I say it was desert. I had an ostrich burger after the pig racing. I didn't eat loads of but it was good fun. I think I would have been a little I'll if I had any more. Well you can always fit an ice cream in can't you. Even the half a tub they gave us and called it a bowl.
All in all some interesting culinary delights. The ice cream was probably the best. Mmmmm cookie dough.

No comments: