Sunday 3 June 2007

Baseball

I have just got back from my first Durham Bulls game, of Bull Durham fame. Which are my local AAA minor league baseball team. Which is kinda the championship of baseball. I loved it. The atmosphere was great. It was more like just sitting and having a chat and a laugh than watching a sporting event. There was a lot of American cheese, singing the national anthem, lots of silly games in between innings. My favourite was the Durham mascot Wool E. Bull. Who generally chased and harassed people they got onto the field to do the stupid games. It was cool that they had people just wandering round selling stuff, such as lemonade, cotton candy [candy floss....I am turning American] and all kinds of other healthy stuff. Also even if you have no idea what baseball is about, you can just sit there and drink beer. I also got to see 3 home runs in an innings, which is pretty rare, apparently 3 in a game is good. The Bulls won too which was nice. Another slice of American life that I am going to force everyone that visits me to see. I do like baseball, it is probably the thing that I have watched most on TV since I got here. The question is, do I get a baseball cap? The Libertines once said "There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap", thankfully that was about Chavs so I think it's ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Libertines quote man.