Tuesday 12 June 2007

El Gigante

So an introduction to 'el gigante'. 'El gigante' is found in Banditos, and is not for the weak of stomach. It is a giant burrito, which is Spanish for 'little donkey'. I'll tell you one thing, there is nothing little about this bad boy. I came to be sat in front of 'el gigante' because I stupidly said to Andy 'yeah that sounds like fun' while drunk. I think it is important to keep your drunken promises, well maybe not the 'I'm going [insert chain of swear words] kill you, you [rather longer chain of swear words]', but the stupid ones are always good. Also I guess it is part of American culture to eat a meal where you win a t-shirt if you finish it.


So there we were, three brave warriors, who had been starving themselves for days (well that lunchtime Chick-Fill-A sandwich was just a snack....hmmm maybe it wasn't the best of ideas) sat down to take their place in Durham history. When the waitress was talking about it, she did it in a hushed voice that you get when people are talking of a legend. Life was not going to be the same after this burrito. Here it is with a UK size comparison.


Here it is compared to Andy. I guess it is scary it is actually bigger than him.


This was a really good burrito to start with.


It kinda got a little painful.


But I wasn't alone.


Maybe not for Dong Woo.


Dong Woo finished first and was eying up everyones plate. He didn't even break a sweat.


I came second. It was a tough finish. The sour cream nearly got me.

Strangely the American came last....


But we all got our t-shirts and our picture on the wall. The staff were so excited that we finished. They even had to go and get batteries for the camera.


A few words of warning kids. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I was in the safe hands of Americans who know what they are doing. Although, I couldn't think till about 5pm the next day. It was pretty tough those last few bites. I really did think I wasn't going to make it at one point. Not long after I really did regret making it. Sleeping wasn't great and it did take me four hours to eat a sandwich the next day. Looking back it was really funny and hey it saved me having to buy food the next day.

It really was worth it as I got to wear the hat.....


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does it compare to nailing a Fagin's all-day breakfast? If I could get the pictures off of my mobile, I'd give them to you in the spirit of the 'special relationship' the UK and the US have.

Next up.....Chilli Cook-Off Time!!!

Bob said...

I was always too scared to have a go at the Fagin's all-dayer. Far too much grease. Also I remember when you did it, you were never in physical pain while you were eating it. Maybe you could polish 'el gigante' off without too much problem, but then I remember the 'harley double burger' meat sweat incident....

Anonymous said...

I have to correct you there; it was a meat stroke, followed by 'beef blindness'. I think that it's caused by a clot of pure lard blocking one of the major arteries to the brain. The A-DB caused major meat sweats, and a 'dad after sunday lunch'-type bout of narcolepsy.

Take-home message- Excesses of mince-based products is bad, kids.

Anonymous said...

uno gigante a day keeps the chupacabras away. --ryan (i refuse to get a blogger account)

Anonymous said...

I'm from Durham...I ate that bad boy in 27 minutes. It is still the best Mexican food I have ever had. You gotta go next door to the Pub and slam some beers before and after.

~David (ditto)