Wednesday 29 August 2007

A tale of two coffees

You know the feeling, y'all get into work at the crack of noon and want a coffee to help you wake up. Getting this has previously not been a problem, although my usual is a tea or 7 to get me through the day I am not against a coffee now and again. In fact I do enjoy a good mocha. Unfortunately sometimes this is not as easy as it should be.

It comes down to the English pronunciation of 'mocha', it comes down to:

I say mock-a, while you say mow-ka (I apologize for my terrible phonetics and if I am wrong please point it out)

these two variations are not too different, or at least I thought so. But as it takes me bloody ages to get a mocha having to repeat it a few times this is obviously not the case.

Ok some might say my voice isn't the clearest, but my sister had similar problems. It feels likes some people over here just cannot get different accents. For the majority it is not a problem but I am surprised at how much I do have to repeat myself, I really feel for people with strong accents. Mine is really not strong at all, and I do resort to Americanizing my speech as it is just easier. Although I may start getting all Yorkshire on em and gettin me sen off t pub. Translation and you can have a play here with the Yorkshire Translator.

Speaking of accents, Rhodri is coming to NC in October, I still think he sounds drunk when (apparently) hes not, ah well the man speaks the international language of having a laugh so I am sure they will love him.

No comments: