Tuesday 24 July 2007

Softball

I was asked to play softball yesterday, which you may remember fro such posts as this one. I am guessing I wasn't the first choice, as until yesterday I had never really tried to catch a ball with a glove on my left hand. Softball and baseball are essentially the same thing for us Brits..... Rounders with gloves. The difference between softball and baseball is that softball the pitcher bowls underarm and the ball is bigger.

Playing was bloody good fun. After a few minutes warm up with the league's glove (thankfully it wasn't like the PE kit that you used to get at school when you forgot yours), I was dropped into right field. Thankfully the other team were all right handers so left field was busy and I was just looking cool in my Sheffield United shirt watching just in case it came to me. Thankfully that didn't happen. It was a pretty slow game at first with both teams getting their allotted three outs to switch innings pretty quick with just a few base hits but no runs.

So up came my first bat. With my unconventional swing I managed to hit it first time. Which was pretty surprising. Next thing I knew I was legging it like a mad man towards the base. I was safe. Woo hoo. Next hitter hit it and the ball got to second before me. I was damn pleased that I hit it. The fielding carried on as I liked it.

Next time I batted, again hit it first time, nobody caught it and I got to first base. Two base hits in a row is pretty good. I got to second on the next hitters go. Pretty impressive I'm thinking. On the next hitters go I get to third and I am told to stop by the third base coach. I just then waited for them to tell me what to do, and just legged it home when the time came. We got 7 runs that innings and one of em was me running it in. WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO. Not bad for my second attempt, although I have to give most credit it to the rest of the team or I would have run somebody out or done something equally as stupid. I got my high fives and grabbed my well earned beer.

In the end I got about 4 runs like that in the end. Got quite a lot of base hits. I was pretty pleased. The team were pretty excited about it too. We had to play another game after the first one, which we won. The second game was against the people from the previous post. Ah ha. My batting was pretty much the same as the first except they were pretty good fielders and everyone was finding it difficult to get the runs in. I was moved to the more exciting roll of catcher in the fielding part of the innings. This was what took some getting used to. Catching with my left hand and not with my body behind the ball was really strange.

All in all it was a good outing. It really hurt today. Next time I might even get a photo of it. It wasn't pretty though, thankfully the full Boars Breath of NC weather wasn't in full effect or it could have been messy.

No comments: