Tuesday 31 July 2007

New York City - Brooklyn and Queens

Finally here is my last update from NYC. This is my adventures is Brooklyn and Queens. I flew into Queens so I thought I would start with that first. Before my trip to New York I had never taken an internal flight (only a transfer), it was very different from my other flying experiences. I checked in at a touch screen kiosk, and it really was just like getting on a bus, well with a couple of burly security guards and x-ray machines. I did almost miss my flight as I was waiting at the gate that it said on my ticket, which was obviously the wrong thing to do. Anyway here is a relic from the 1964/65 World's fair at Flushing Meadows-Corona park, Queens, NY.


Here it is, with the "UFOs" for all you Men in Black fans.


The park was actually pretty cool, definitely a nice way to spend an hour before a METS game, or if you are lucky enough to get a US tennis open ticket. I guess no trip for me would not be complete without some kinda of baseball related thing now. As Dan had never seen a baseball game I thought it would be cool to take him to see a MLB game and the Yankees were only playing on the Sunday. I sported my Durham Bulls cap of course. It was pretty cool, we saw a home run and got some hot dogs brought to us, he he.


I was really happy that we got to spend sometime in Brooklyn, as it is damn cool. From chilling out late evening on Shannon's rooftop, finding lots of book that people leave on the 'sidewalk', strolling along the promenade, to eating Pizza under the Manhattan bridge (see previous photo here). It is just a cool place to visit. It feels more like New York, the Brooklyn accent is fantastic (unfortunately Iain I didn't here anybody proclaim in a gruff voice "thats it, we're moving to joysey" but I did hear lots of grumpy people that could have said it. Which reminds me of something that I heard in Manhattan. A really big tough looking guy was talking to his friend about going to get some beers after work, then he just came out with "you will need to remind me to call my cat sitter"...only in NYC. Check other out on overheard in New York.


We also rode the Subway to Conney Island. Which was pretty damn cool as for a lot of Brooklyn it is over ground and you can see all the buildings etc, which quite a few had Dutch style architecture, which is a nod to the old school new Amsterdam era. I'm not going to lie to you, Conney Island is like Blackpool but without the donkeys and amusement parks. But it does have 'Shoot the Freak'.


And a pretty cool rollercoaster. Thats doesn't look to scary


But it kinda was....

No comments: