Thursday 4 October 2007

It's called football not soccer

I have joined departmental inter-mural football (or soccer as the natives call it) team. Thankfully it is in the recreational league. I think I would look really bad in that league. It's nice to see it though. The name of the post comes from a team name in the other league.

It is nice to see the American's playing the sport the rest of the world loves. Although it's strange that even though many of them love to play it, hardly any people watch it. It does show. We were talking about 'soccer' at lunch the day before my first game and Michelle said she watched a 'kindergarten' game where they just crowded round the ball and kicked it until it went out. Well... it's not that far off.

I have met a few who do watch it. I do probably talk to them far too much in the pub, but then most people probably think of me as 'that crazy British guy'. I know most of my research group do. They even say it to my face, in the nicest possible way.

PS I did score in the last match. Woo hoo.

4 comments:

Biggsy said...

Strange in the UK they just called you that crazy guy!?!?

Biggsy said...

Attention all citizens of the USA do not listen to Mr Ducker, Sheffield United is not the best team in the Championship, the best team is Southampton FC. Sheffield Utd are the best team in Yorkshire.

Biggsy said...

fuck didnt think you wouls post my last comment

Bob said...

I thought it was funny. Sadly we are not even the best team in Yorkshire anymore that goes to Barnsley..