Tuesday 22 May 2007

My Weekend and Soul Food

Had a pretty strange weekend this time around. It started in a pub on Friday (far too many of my stories start like that) where I met Ryan (music fan, drinking buddy, gentleman and a scholar) and his old neighbour from Texas, Curtis (music fan, drinking monster and Lutheran minister). We enjoyed beer, laughs and a damn good burger from Dain's Place on 9Th St. Later we drove to Chapel Hill (a few miles from Durham) to see a few bands (unfortunately not a growling metal band but you can't have everything). We spent the evening enjoying some good bands and some PBR. Nothing to heavy or crazy, mostly just talking about rubbish as usual. The bands were great, the first band was a garage rock band who even did a Sonics cover which was just down my street. I have no idea how to describe the other band, kinda indie country I guess, but still damn good. After we went to time out chicken for fried chicken and cheese biscuits. I asked to have the nastiest drunk food. I thought it was amazing, especially the biscuits. I am not talking rich tea here, they are kinda like scones but not sweet. Basically just butter. They are really bad for you but, wow do they taste good. They are part of the southern Soul Food thing, which I am really looking forward to sampling even more. As you might be able to tell as most of this post has been about it.

Saturday day was a bit of a non even, breakfast of Twinkies (see pic), acquired from a petrol station on the way home (I wanted a Slurpee but they didn't have any). Got the new webcam which you saw on the previous post. I hope you still not laughing over it. Saturday evening involved chilling out on the porch (very American of me), singing on the porch, harassing people from the porch, silly photos in hats, drinking some beers and a fantastic a cocktail called surfers on acid (I think: pineapple juice Malibu and jager), the usual heading out to the pubs on main St. Then back to Ryan's for more surfers on acid and listening to lots of music, especially pulp which Curtis was a big fan of, much respect. All in all a good weekend I think.


No comments: