Thursday 11 October 2007

World International Beer Festival

I had the pleasure of attending my first proper beer festival. Well as long as you don't count the effort that they had in the farmer a few years ago or the Sheffield University Beer festival that was meant to last three days and all the beer was gone by 11 on the first night. No this was different, this was classy, this had tickets, a website and over 150 different beers. For $35 (£17.50) it was a four hour all you can drink extravaganza, you even got a special tasting glass. Which is beautifully modeled below, with fiver as people now complain if it's not in the photo.

The festival took place at the old Durham Bulls Athletic Park, which was made famous by film Bull Durham and Kevin Costner. It was cool actually being on the field, but that thought didn't last long as there were 150 beers to try in convenient two ounce servings as to promote 'sensible' enjoyment, just waiting to be.... well enjoyed. The beer was great. Most of it was American, thankfully none of it was Budweiser. American beer is good, Brits do tend to get on their high horse about US beer tasting like pisswater (Americans are also annoying saying that we drink beer warm), but I am sorry to the say worst beer I tasted there was Tetley's. I knew it was going to be bad but I had to for old times sake. Thankfully one of the best was the Black Sheep Hobgoblin. Now that bad boy was for old times sake. I also tried Polish Mead, you know what they used to drink in Robin Hood times. Mead is pretty much bloody strong stuff which is also sweet as it is made from honey. I whole heartily recommend it. It reminds me of a lyric by the Sonics "[It'll] make you jump, it'll make you shout, it'll even knock you out". It got a little hazy towards the end, but I can assure you a good night was had by all.....it ended up in Cosmic with me giving Andy a great (apparently) pep talk, I'm not entirely sure what I said and what it was about but I am told I had a smile on my face so all was good with the world.

No comments: