Sunday 6 May 2007

Friday night drinking in the US

It is nice to go for a drink after a hard week at work. It just unfortunate that it never ends in one drink and you waste a whole Saturday and if your really unlucky most of Sunday. It is especially bad when you leave work at 5, don't eat anything and end up shouting that you want a salmonella wagon, if you are indeed lucky enough to still be talking. It is fun to do this, and many a good night has been spent and varying degrees of drunkenness. Moving to the states I was a bit apprehensive because the perceived bar culture is that of seedy old men trying to pick up desperate old women. I guess I want to calm down on the drinking a bit but I still want to be able to get drunk and have fun.

Thankfully my worries were unfounded, which I was guessing they would be. It was a good mix of people young and old. Most were mid 20s to mid 30s. The beers was flowing and people were having fun. It was a good atmosphere, as you didn't have the I must get absolutely out of my skull vibe going on. It also feels like people talk to different groups more and intermingle, which is nice. Although I found myself talking to lots of random people. One guy who everything I said to him his answer was 'Is that a fact?', or 'so you like doing[insert whatever I said] ? do you? huh?', he was quite intense and I thought he was offended by me being British, as some 'Europeans' had been making fun of him/Americans for having no sense of humour, it just turns out he was a bit of a tool. He made me laugh though and that is a fact. I did meet a lot of really nice people and they even let me join them for a 'lock in', so I didn't manage to waste my Saturday, oh well old habits....

I did manage to catch the footy.... in the same pub that I left only a few hours earlier. We got spanked so 'nuff said.

1 comment:

Biggsy said...

The mark of a true football supporter. You stay up all night forcing down drink after drink so that you can watch the game and then your side gets spanked 3 nil. Oh well... same time next Friday?